Saturday, September 13, 2008

How can I give less?

"God loved them with all of his heart. And they were lovely because he loved them." - The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones

What an amazing truth that is! What a tremendous reminder! There are often times in my life when I feel quite 'unlovely' - either because of my attitude or I'm just not looking in the mirror with a friendly eye. But the truth is, no matter how I do at work, or how hard I have to try to understand the distribution of a graph, or how quickly I snap at someone over something that has no meaning in the grand scheme of life, God loves me.

Of course, that doesn't leave me freedom to behave as I choose; in fact, the way I see it, it only leaves me to respond in love, to strive to be more and more like Christ every day. My worth is not bound in what I see or what I do or how easily something comes to me. My worth is bound up in the fact that God loves me; He thinks I'm worth giving everything - even the life of His only Son - to have me in relationship with Him.

That truth is worth standing for, fighting for, living for, dying for, and striving to obey - out of love - what this great God has commanded. He gave His all - how can I give any less? Mark 12:29-31

No comments:

Post a Comment